We regularly get messages and mail asking us about specific websites. The fact is, for every site that gets shut down, another 100 set up shop, so there is no way for us to know each and every site. In a lot of cases, the company will just change their name and start right back up selling knockoffs, with no one the wiser. They are even selling from Facebook now. So, we encourage you to use our list of known knockoff sites and do additional research on your own. To help get you started, here are the top 10 signs you are on a knockoff site:
Top 10 signs you are on a knockoff site:
- They are selling a lot more than just formal wear. If you can buy your wedding dress and camping equipment in the same place, expect to be disappointed!
- There are no pictures of the actual dress you are getting, just the designer’s photos.
- Under “Contact Us” there is just a form you fill out and they will “get back to you.” Legitimate businesses may also have this form, but will provide you with their phone number and actual address.
- It is a fraction of the price of the designer’s dress. It is one thing to buy a dress from a site like preownedweddingdresses.com from a store that has marked down their sample or from someone with a cancelled wedding, but if you are on a site that is churning out these “custom” made dresses, keep your expectations low.
- They claim to offer a 100% money back guarantee, but then their Return page looks something like this (pulled directly from a knockoff site):
- Each dress goes through quality-inspection four times before being shipped out to minimize such problems from arising. Because each dress is hand-made, there will be at most a 5% difference between the product picture and the product you receive.
- Sizing or Fitting Issues
All dresses are made to order (free customer size service), the finished dress may vary by approximately half inch in either direction of the specified measurements. To ensure that your dress will still fit you perfectly, our tailors have created all our dresses with additional fabric in the seams to allow minor size modifications to be made easily.
- Item is not the size you ordered
Should your item size differ from the specifications of your order by more than one inch, we encourage you to find a local tailor to make adjustments, and we will happy to cover some tailoring costs for you.
- Your item is the size you ordered but does not fit
Dresses that does not fit properly but it is in the specifications you ordered. As our dresses and clothing is made with additional fabric in the seams, you can make minor adjustments at a local tailor, at your own cost.
Please note: if your order specifications differ too greatly from the final sizing request, resizing may not be possible.
- Color Mismatch
Fabric Colors may looks vary from different Computer Monitors.(Laptop monitors are not recommended) Slight color mismatches between the color of your item and the color shown on screen may not mean that the item is defective or mis-shipped. However, if you are confident that you have received the item in a wrong color, please contact our Customer Service to see if a return or refund is possible. (If they advertise a 100% money back guarantee, why wouldn’t a return be possible? Answer… it’s a knockoff.)
- They have a Facebook page, but their reviews are disabled. By only allowing people to post to the page, they are able to delete any unhappy comments. Reviews are permanent and the admin of the page can not delete any.
- Most of their reviews are in broken English. Web designers have the ability to post whatever they want to a site – including testimonials. They are free to write whatever they want about their products and just make up a name to go with it.
- They don’t accept Paypal. Paypal expects you to get what you order. If you decide to take a chance, there are a few knock-off sites that do take Paypal – use it. If you think your credit card company has your back, think again. Over half of the women we have been contacted by were unable to obtain a refund.
- They aren’t listed on the designer’s list of authorized retailers. Most designers will have either a list of authorized dealers or a store locator on the website.
- There’s a lot of jabber on Sitejabber.com. Most people won’t order from an Ebay seller with less than 98% positive feedback, so why would you entrust the most important garment you will ever wear to a site that has over 200 1-star reviews? Sure, they may have 800 5-star reviews, but that means you have a 1 in 4 chance of being a customer giving a 1-star. We definitely don’t like those odds!