Every horror story begins with a villain… this knock off nightmare comes from a seller at dhgate.com. The victim of this Nightmare purchased a wedding dress that was promised to look just as the picture. Just like so many knockoffs before, the reality never lives up to the promises. For a complete list of questionable sites check out our Known Knockoff Sites page.
From the buyer – “The dress arrived on time, but many areas were not sewn and the lace was cheap and heavy, as well as the seams being puckered and uneven. It looked awful! The seller I purchased from had a 99% rating with tons of sales. Buyer be VERY aware!”
Here we break down the problems and differences one at a time.
- The material for the original is double-faced stretched silk satin. That’s why it looks so smooth. The knockoff is made from flimsy satin – which is why it is so shiny and wavy. If your first thought is, “it just needs to be pressed!” – that will not remove those lines. As you can see, it puckers at the seam lines then inwards. The seams were not properly pressed before sewing and there was no room for give and it is now stretched.
- There are no front seams on the original.
- There is no mesh between the bust in the original.
- The trumpet shape is almost non-existent in the knockoff.
- The knockoff is a mesh back. The original is open.
- The back lace on the original is soft and delicate and breaks at the butt. The knockoff lace is heavy and big and continues from the back, over the butt, and down the train.
- Speaking of trains! The original has a gorgeous apron style lace train. The knockoff lace train is just attached to the butt and looks like a hot mess puddled on the floor.
- The butt on the original is gathered toward the middle to give her more junk in her trunk. The knockoff is pleated, so it makes her bum look flat.
We realize that a lot of times ordering a dress of the internet seems like a good idea at the time. Especially with the way websites portray their inventory. The problem is, when it gets to you and it’s not at all what it looked like online… you’re left with a Limp and Lifeless Nightmare of a dress! Thank you for sharing your experience.